August Update
Today Mom had her labs done, and then she and Dad went to her appointment with Dr. A.
This was Mom’s first time seeing him after the stem cell retrieval and it was nice to hear that Dr. A was happy with the stem cell retrieval results. He also said that he isn’t too concerned about her bloodwork results rising, especially since Mom is feeling good. He said they will continue to monitor her blood work and assess it every month.
Last week we celebrated Mom’s 60th birthday! We celebrated as a family on the holiday Monday and told her about the open house we had planned for her on the following Saturday. She sure was surprised!
We kids knew we would have to tell her beforehand, but we didn’t want to tell her too early, or she might start stressing over the party. I think it worked out well to tell her when we did, and she was SO excited to have a party! She even said that she just couldn’t wait to chat with everyone!
THANK YOU to everyone who stopped in to wish her a happy birthday! It was such a blessing to see everyone come out and celebrate Mom. We know August is a busy time with holidays and events, so we understand that some people wanted to be there but couldn’t make it. Mom LOVED seeing everyone, chatting, and catching up.
~
Here’s a note from Dawn:
I'm SIXTY!
My birthday was on the 4th and on the 3rd we had a family birthday at our house. Our kids gave me a gift in a box, and inside was a flyer invitation to a 60th birthday party -- for ME!! Wow.
At first I was nervous as I don't really care for being the center of attention. But then I realized that what better way to celebrate turning SIXTY than by having time to visit and chat with family and friends!!
Back when I was first diagnosed, I was 54, turning 55 that summer. Humanly speaking, turning 60 seemed impossible. I was so unwell. I do trust in God's sovereignty over my life and the promises from Psalm 139 (13-18)in the Bible, which enabled me to rest in God's plans for me:
“For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.”
But nothing is impossible with God!
Our kids and grandchildren did an amazing job with organizing the party AND keeping it a secret from me! And I loved it so much!
I just loved meeting everyone and catching up a bit. Friends from far away and ones that I only keep in touch with via social media. Three of our former littles came with their families! THAT was so beautiful and such a surprise! And Andrew's mom was able to celebrate with us too!
So many from our church family came too - they have prayed for me and encouraged me/us so much over these years! It is truly a blessing to have family and also a church family! God is good!I've been enjoying the many flower bouquets, gifts, and cards with handwritten notes -- notes and crafts from children. I've been working on many thank-you notes this week! As I write, I've been reminiscing on the day and how beautiful it really was! I don't think it's fully sunk in yet. It was truly extra special and I (we) appreciate all the love!
~
Prayer Requests:
Praise God that Mom was able to celebrate her 60th birthday.
Pray that Mom’s blood levels will stabilize.
Mom and I have been singing this song quite a bit over the past few weeks, and the parts of the lyrics I have underlined here have particularly stood out as Mom’s 60th birthday drew closer.
Goodness Of God - Performed by Cece Winans
“I love You, Lord
Oh, Your mercy never fails me
All my days, I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God
And all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God
I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
And in darkest night You are close like no other
I've known You as a Father
I've known You as a Friend
And I have lived in the goodness of God, yeah
And all my life You have been faithful, oh
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God, yeah
'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
With my life laid down, I'm surrendered now
I give You everything
'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me, oh-oh
'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
With my life laid down, I'm surrendered now
I give You everything
'Cause Your goodness is running after, it keeps running after me
And all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God
I'm gonna sing, I'm gonna sing
Oh, 'cause
'Cause all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God
Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God”



Comments
Post a Comment