October 7th Update
Hi everyone, it's Dawn here.
Last week Dr. A had me redo my labs (with the big spike) to see what kind of results we'd get with only 2 weeks between tests. The full results were back by Monday.
There was another big spike.
Also on Monday (Oct 5th) we got a notification that Dr. A wanted a meeting with us. We figured there'd be a pivot and we were curious if I'd begin the Line 1 drug (as mentioned in our last post) or if he got compassionate permission for me to skip to the Line 2 drug. What happened surprised us too.
He told us that we would look into and likely go ahead with a Stem Cell Transplant (SCT)! His reasoning is that both my heart and kidneys are stable currently and, although the proteins are increasing, he doesn't see evidence that the Amyloidosis is causing issues yet. This is an optimal time to do an SCT!
It was quite a pivot and unexpected, and we've had to process it, but we are excited - and apprehensive too.
Shortly after talking with Dr. A, we heard from Megan, the Stem Cell coordinator and we have a "family meeting" already next week!
We don't have a timeline yet and nothing is in stone but this is big news!
When I was first diagnosed in 2021 I was too sick to qualify for a transplant. So this is not only a good opportunity but also an encouragement that my body has healed enough that my caregivers feel I can handle such a procedure!
It will be hard - we know that, and there are risks, but this treatment also has a good track record of giving an opportunity to be "stable" for a longer period of time.
It feels a bit like I've been playing "crack the whip" - does that get played still? A line of people holding hands while skating and whipping the last person all around to try to get them to let go!
It's me pulling the people sometimes, this and every direction, and sometimes it's me on the end, holding on tightly, not releasing my grip!
For now we'll leave the update at that until we know more. We'd appreciate prayers as we look into this and ultimately as a decision is made. Please pray for wisdom for us and my medical team as they walk us through this - and prayer for my supports, Andrew especially as he again needs to walk this road with me while simultaneously tending his other responsibilities.
We are thankful that the Lord has carried us all this time, and we are so, so thankful that stem cell transplant is a possible treatment option.
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous be shaken."
Psalm 55:22
![]() |
| Dawn's summer Zinnias |

Comments
Post a Comment